Thank you Cass for your informative talk at the Writers Group Convention. We all learned something new, and appreciate the chance to read your notes.
If you write, then you’re a writer! Acknowledge your writing and talk about it with other writers.
Reasons to join Queensland Writers Centre or other author groups such as ASA or SCBWI:
- Keep in regular contact with the writing community
- Meet other writers
- Keep up-to-date with industry knowledge
- Regular magazines with writing advice
- Writing workshops and courses
- Keep informed about competitions and opportunities
Important to get things finished and submitted, and to practice rejection.
No writing is ever wasted.
- Follow authors you admire on social media
- Write and publish book reviews
- Join a bookclub or online literary discussion
- Read weekly newspaper book reviews
- Read books about writing
- Bird by Bird (Anne Lamott)
- On Writing (Stephen King)
- The Writer’s Room (Charlotte Wood)
- Celebrating Australian Writers (Annette Marfording)
- Be a good literary citizen. Be generous in your praise of others.
- Develop consistent writing practice
- Set small goals and objectives
- Give yourself rewards
- Pair up with a writing buddy or join a writing group
- Enter competitions
- Attend writers’ festivals